Can dogs eat watermelon? This might be a question for all the dog owners who are trying to give a new treat to their pets. Your search might end here with the answer of yes. But there are some precautions too. In this article, we’ll know all the positive and negative sides of feeding watermelon to dogs.
Benefits Of Feeding Watermelon To Dogs
- There are several benefits of watermelon that you might consider for your dog.Watermelon contains 90% of water.So it can be a good source of water keeping your dog hydrated especially at the summers.There are also several benefits out there by feeding watermelon to dogs.
- Watermelon is high in fiber and also comes with a large amount of beneficial nutrients such as vitamin A,B6,vitamin C and Potassium.These are the things that help your dog in the digestion part.
- Watermelon contains a potent antioxidant named Lycopene,found in red colour food plants such as watermelon and tomatoes.This antioxidant helps to prevent cancer.
- This fruit also helps in weight management,because of having low calorie intake.Every 100 grams of watermelon contains only 30 grams of calorie.Nowadays people are spending more time at their home with their dog, in return, they’re getting less exercise.So it’s more easy for your dog to get obese.In solution of that you can feed watermelons to your dog to balance their weight.
The Dangerous Side Of Feeding Watermelon To Dogs
As there are some benefits properties present in watermelon but there are some bad ones too.
- Especially the seeds of watermelon, that can cause an intestinal blockage.
- The other negative of watermelon is it’s rind,which can cause gastrointestinal upset.
If you compare positives and negatives of watermelon then you’ll find there are more numbers of positive sides.
How You Can Feed Watermelon To Your Dog?
The very first thing you should do in order to feed watermelon to your pet is to ask your veterinarian or nutritionist.If your vet agrees to feed then you have to remove all the seeds and rinds from the fruit.In summer you can feed watermelon every other day.
What Are The Other Fruit You Can Feed Along With Watermelon?
- Apples: Apples are one of the best fruits that you can feed your dog. This fruit is a great source of vitamins A & C.It is packed with fiber to keep your dog’s digestive system working.Just one thing to note that you need to remove all the seeds before you feed apples to your dog.
- Banana: This is also a great fruit, it is rich in potassium,vitamins and copper. This Fruit is actually safe for your dog but due to high sugar content content you can feed this occasionally.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is a safe fruit for dogs but due to high fibrous,this may lead to diarrhea. So,make sure you give a small quantity.
- Blueberries: If you want to defend your furbaby from cancer then you should feed them blueberries.This Fruit is full antioxidants.
- Carrot: These fruits are high in vitamins and fiber,and fiber helps to brush away tartar,which makes your dog’s teeth healthier.
- Cucumbers: Cucumber’s are one of the safe fruits for your dog.Its a low calorie vegetable.However,Don’t give this to your dog too much,it may cause an upset stomach.
- Mango: Mangoes are safe enough to feed to your but it has a small amount of toxic cyanide,which may cause your dog to choke.You should feed mango occasionally.
Can dogs eat watermelon seeds?
No, though watermelon seeds are not toxic for dogs, so you should not worry if your dog ate few seeds by chance. Make sure you remove them from watermelon. Otherwise, it can cause intestinal blockage.
Can dogs eat watermelon skin?
Watermelon has very thick skin, which is not digestible for dogs. Your dog might have a problem chewing it. So it is best to remove all the skin from the watermelon before you feed.
Can dogs eat watermelon ice cream?
What’s better than a cool sweet treat on a hot day? As an owner, you might also think like that, but this might not be the best treat for your dog if you see it from a health perspective. If you have an adult dog, then there is a problem because adult dogs don’t have stomachs that are ready to handle lactose. Puppies can digest milk, but adults can’t.In ice cream contains dairy elements, which can lead to bloating , gas, diarrhea, and vomiting. Your dog also can have weight issues. So if you want to keep your dog healthy and fit, you should stay away from giving icecream daily, but you can provide me occasionally as a treat.
The bottom line of this article is if you want to feed watermelon to your dog, you can easily do so because it is safe and healthy. Only one thing you have to remember that before you feed, make sure you remove all the seeds and skins.
So, have you ever tried watermelon for your dog? or you’re about to try? please let us know in the comment section below.
If you are looking for some non-veg treats for your dog, don’t forget to check our latest article about whether dogs can eat raw chicken?